The bulkers ISABELLA MANX (United Kingdom flag) and EKATERINA (Malta flag) were handled on the same day by Brooklyn-Kiev LLC
On April the 29th, the dockers of Brooklyn-Kiev LLC handled two grain bulkers at berths 46-47 of the Sugar Pier of Bread Harbour. At the berth N. 46, the corn holds t/x EKATERINA (L = 165.5 m). A batch of 25,650 tonnes was loaded onto the ship. More sophisticated in technological terms is the treatment on the adjacent berth N. 47 t/h ISABELLA MANX (L = 199.9 m).
According to the senior stevedore Vitaliy Kugut, several shipments of cargo were loaded onto the vessel: in holds N. 1,2,4 – wheat with protein 12,5%; in hold N. 5 – wheat with protein 11,5%; in hold N. 3 – corn. The total weight of the ship’s party is 53,990 tons.
The senior stevedore points out that the ISABELLA MANX t / x is still quite a “fresh” ship built in 2019 and is one of its first flights. As the bulk carrier goes under the “expensive” flag, seafarers sign contracts with all the requirements of the ITF (International Sailors Union), and the ship-owner’s management pays people a decent wage and allocates money for the timely maintenance of the ship’s machinery.
The new ISABELLA MANX attracts the view of the originality of the structures. The ship was built in accordance with the requirements for operation in the northern latitudes, as evidenced by the contours of the bow, carried far overboard anchor hulls and tank semi-closed type to prevent the flood deck from storm waves and icing deck mechanisms.
Nicosia is the capital of Cyprus, the most Southern and Eastern member of the EU. Nicosia is not only the capital and center of the island, but is also an economic and cultural centre. Cyprus is the passage from Europe to Middle East, Arab Gulf and North Africa.
Nicosia has a history of more than 6000 years. Therefore, the city has also a great archeological wealth. Tourists who visit Nicosia can experience first hand a natural and extraordinary merge of history and modernity.
The Venetian City Walls, built in 1576, by the military engineer Giulio Savorgnan to protect the Old City, are the capital’s trademark. Within these Walls there are architectural gems, old churches, monuments, museums, art galleries and artisan workshops. An echo of the past beautifully combined with contemporary urban lifestyle.
Unfortunately, Nicosia reflects also the islands’ modern turbulent history of the Turkish military occupation in 1974, which divided tha city in two zones, a long-standing issue which remains unresolved since then. Notwithstanding this, now there are new ongoing projects in the city center, like the reconstruction of the historical center of Nicosia, aimed to the improvement of living standard in a traditional architectural heritage environment. Nicosia is confirmed a great cultural contributor to Cyprus.
Nicosia and Odessa are twin cities since 1996.
The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre is running various activities under the movement #stayhome aiming to actively contribute to the creativity of this difficult period we all live in. #μένουμεσπίτι #stayhome #staysafe
NiMAC [The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Associated with the Pierides Foundation] in collaboration with “Γράψε το. / Write it.” revive the handwritten letter correspondence. In this framework NiMAC and “Γράψε το. / Write it.” extend an Open Call for participation in the initiative: “Write it. Pen pals in the Age of Quarantine”.
The exchange of handwritten letters has historically bridged matters of distance, as well as strengthen human relations. Furthermore, human history has been, amongst other, recorded via handwritten correspondence. People in pandemics, wars and depressions narrate and share their stories and experiences through their handwritten letters.
So, adults are invited to remember the time when they exchanged handwritten letters, as well as the younger ones who want to try this traditional way of communication for the first time, to take part in this original and interesting action.
Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, announced an open call for a collective project for children and adults.
They invited young and “adult” children to contribute to the story “The Tiny Dragon” with a word, a phrase, a paragraph, an idea…
The story begun when the Dragon, feeling underestimated by the rest of his peers, decidesd to think and act outside the box in order for the rest of the herd to notice him…
The NiMAC [The Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Associated with the Pierides Foundation] Educational Centre for Children created the activity “The Alphabet Around Me” for children.
Where do we see the alphabet in our house? Write down, search for, find and photograph the letters of the alphabet to make your own “abc” through eight fun steps.
Creative activities: “I stay home and create”
Entitled “Nicosia 2030”, this is a painting activity inviting kids to prepare their own drawings of how they imagine their city of Nicosia to be in the year 2030, in relation to the Sustainable Development. Goals 2030 is a programme of the United Nations.
Source: Communications Office of Nicosia Municipality
Daniel Novikov, 19-year-old and second-year student of the Odessa Polytechnic University, came up with an online platform to combine the efforts of Odessa residents to jointly solve urban problems. The project received the talking name “Lopata” (shovel).
The motivation for the need of such a project was the harsh Odessa reality, says the founder of the platform. For instance, in the courtyard of the house where he lives, there is an abandoned boiler room, which poses a danger for pedestrians: a coffee bar was opened nearby, working in violation of all conceivable regulation. Not ready to understand from which side to approach the resolution of these problems, the guy listened to the advice of his mother, who suggested looking at the issue more globally and creating a kind of community.
“Mom was the ideological inspirer of our project. We decided to create a platform, where citizens could get together and solve such urgent problems together, collect resources, money, and materials together,”said Daniel.
It took half a year from the idea to the launch of the portal. Now, the site is working in test mode, but those who wish can already register on it and, noting the location on the map of Odessa, add one city problem. At first the young man named his project Move, but later changed his mind and settled on the simpler and more memorable “Lopata” (shovel).
It can be a variety of tasks to improve the city: from local issues in one yard, a collapsing facade of the house or lack of parking spaces for bicycles, to large-scale ones like the sunken tanker Delphi. After adding a problem, other people can join in its discussion and solution to help with tips, ideas or finances. The expected outcome of this interaction is the implementation and resolution of the issue.
“In Odessa there are still similar platforms, like “My City” and “Citizen”. But they are focused on projects and subjective Wish list of people, whilst we gather on urban problems and solve them by brainstorming. In addition to donations, we want to attract investors and the city government to the platform,”says Daniel.
In 1913, the Odessites won the championship’s final match 4 to 2 against the Petersburgers. But the St. Petersburg Football League obtained to cancel the whole championship’s result.
That was the second football championship in the history of the Russian Empire (and the last one). At that time, it was held among teams representing their cities. Odessa was one of the first football centers in the empire. On the Black Sea coast, as in St. Petersburg, the increasingly popular game was brought by the British expatriate community.
In 1878, the Odessa British Athletic Club (OBAC) was established in the capital of the Black Sea region, with the purpose to organise sport activity for the English (thousands) residents in Odessa: rugby, tennis, golf, cricket, boxing and football, which became quickly the most popular. The Club was composed by the British staff of the Indo-European telegraph office. In 1899, native Odessa citizens began to be included in the list of OBAC members.
Football matches were held against visiting British teams, usually drawn from the crews of British ships docked in Odessa harbour. These games were played in the seafront area now occupied by the Shevchenko Park. Each year, the OBAC held games with the Romanian football team of the city of Galati.
In 1911, the Odessa Football League was established and the first head of the League was the Englishman Ernest Jacobs, owner of a shipping company. In addition to OBAC, its founders were Odessa Football Club, Sheremetyevo Sports Club (gymnasium students), Sporting Club and many other teams. Expectedly, the first winner of the city championship was the OBAC.
The Second Imperial Football Championship took place in 1913 (the first was in 1912, but without rules at a sufficient international standard level) and was divided into two preliminary area championships: Northern Russia and Novorossia. Then, the two winners would have met in the final match to award the champion of the Empire.
In Novorossia there were 12 participating teams, which shows the level of popularity of the sport. They represented: Kharkov, Kherson, Yuzovka, Nikolaev, Odessa, Rostov-on-Don, Sevastopol (Kiev was excluded with a technical deception). The Odessa’s squad defeated all of them. To better understand the atmosphere of those matches, it is worth mentioning that the Nikolaev–Odessa match was moved to South Palmyra, due to the Nikolaev fans’ habit to threw stones at rival football players.
The second finalist was the team of St. Petersburg, the winner of the previous year’s First Championship of Russia. The title playoff took place on the 20th of October, 1913. The final match of the championship was held in Odessa, on a field located on French Boulevard, close to the current buildings of the Biological Faculty of the Odessa National University (today the ONU stadium is in that place).
The match gathered about 4 thousand spectators, located in several rows around the field. Odessa’s team defeated reigning Petersburger champions 4-2 in a pulsating encounter with goals from Ernest Jacobs (OBAC), Hubert Townsend (OBAC) and Grigory Bohemsky (Richelieu gymnasium).
But offended capital losers filed a protest. The motives were that four foreigners played for Odessa in the final, while under the regulation three was the limit. Actually, in previous matches many teams exceeded that limit of foreigner players, but nobody protested. Not even Petersburgers before the match, being confident in a easy victory.
On this occasion, the secretary of the Odessa Football League John Gerd said: “The St. Petersburg Football League bases its protest on the rules, which are mythical for us. Kharkov and Yuzovka exhibited up to six foreigners. The case with the championship is rather vague. ” As a result, not daring to satisfy the unfair protest of St. Petersburg, the All-Russian Football Union board took the decision to consider the championship… NOT played out!
The Petersburg-based illustrated newspaper Futbolist wrote in an article “A Few Words about the Petersburg-Odessa Match: Odessa was deprived of the championship for formal reasons, but … on December 16, in Moscow, at a dinner given by the All-Russian Football Union, there was a toast proclaimed for Odessa, although not an official, but a moral and actual winner of the Russian championship. ”
This triumph of Odessa football was interrupted by the outbreak of the First World War and, after, the Russian Civil War. Odessites had to forget about football matches until 1922.
The Frumushika Nova ethnographic tourism center in Tarutinsky district is a village revived by people, forgotten by the authorities
About 200 kilometers from Odessa and 10 kilometers from the border with Moldova, is situated Frumushika Nova, a center of ethnographic and green tourism.
Frumushika translated from Moldavian means “Pretty”. The first mentioning about it dated by 1813. Before the liquidation of the village by the Soviet government, there were 460 houses in it.
At the end of the 19th, the richest family in Frumushika village century was the Palariev. Nikolai Palariev, an ordinary driver from Odessa port, got rich thanks to Crimean War, in which he lost his arm. For his loyalty he received quite enough money to buy a land in the steppe.
In 2006, the businessman Alexander Palariev, the owner of gas stations in the Odessa region, began to revive the memory of his ancestors. In the place where his family once lived, Palariev built the largest sheep farm in Europe.
The businessman’s friends and sheep farmers from Europe, Australia and New Zealand began to visit the farm.
Now in Frumushika-Nova there are a hotel, guest houses, a restaurant, a pool and a church. You can fish in an artificial pond, hunt, play mini-golf and undergo treatment in a “bee sanatorium”.
Today, from 30 to 70 people are responsible for the work and livelihoods of the settlement, depending on the season, which officially begins on April 20 and ends on December 1.
The Shepherd’s statue in a burka and with a staff, which he installed in Frumushika, was included in the Guinness World Records book and recognized as the highest in the world. Its height is 16.43 meters, weight – 1080 tons. This sign of respect for local sheep farmers is made of labradorite mined in the Zhytomyr region.
The grand opening of the first electric power tram line in Odessa was held in the Aleksandrovsky Park (now Park Shevchenko) on the 11th of September (the 24th according to the modern calendar).
The famous Odessa writer Yuri Olesha described this event in a very colourful way: “The tram appeared on the Strogonovsky bridge, yellow-red, with a glass vestibule in front. Under our cries, he passed us with a vestibule filled with people, among whom was some high-ranking priest who sprinkled before him: «There is the mayor Tolmachev with glasses and a reddish mustache. A mister in a bowler stood behind the board and everyone said his name: Legode». This was the director of the Belgian company that built the first line.”
Prior to this, horse-drawn trams drove in the city since 1880. The Belgian Horse-Railway Society built the first lines of the so-called “horse traps”. Travel was permitted only while passengers were sitting, and only six people could stand on the rear platform of the car. Passengers were not allowed to the front platform and steps of the tram. The fare was 5 kopecks.
By the end of 1888 there were already 19 such routes. The trams were stored in a depot in Kulikovo Field, and the horses were kept in stables on Botanicheskaya Street (between Kanatnaya Street and French Boulevard). The next step after horse trams was steam.
The project of the electric tram was approved by Odessa City Council in 1908. The same year the equipment of tracks and construction of stations began, and in 1910, first ways were put. Main tracks matched horse-drawn railway belonged to the Belgian company, so new work was mainly focused on the contact system and traction substations.
According to the Belgian project lines initially did not have any numbers (like horse-drawn railway), only names («Rishelevskaya – Khersonskaya», «Trading – Little Russian», etc.), but on the same line could go several routes and one route could run along different lines. From the end of 1910 to the first half of 1911, it was carried out the rapid construction of new tram lines and the electrification was extended to the old horse-drawn lines.
The first line was named “Vistavochnaya” (exhibition), because it had to show citizens the new system of transport. The project involved the construction of thirty-one tram lines in Odessa and its suburbs. “Exhibition” line worked less than a year, but has fully complied with the task: the inhabitants of Odessa got acquainted with the modern electric tram.
On demand of the City Council the tramway was primarily operating on the outskirts, but there were also electric lines in the city center as «Gretcheeskaya» and «Langeronskaya». By the mid of 1912 the formation of the tram network in the city center had been largely completed.
By the way, it is with steam trams that “stations” appeared on the Fontana and Lustdorf roads. The clumsy steam wagons looked like steam locomotives, then the stops were called stations and are so called today.
The electric power tramway system in Odessa was the second one realized in the Russian Empire, after St.Petersburg.