About past, present and future of Ukraine

Main Business — EBA:The reconstruction of the Odesa region after the war should prioritize infrastructure development

Business

EBA:The reconstruction of the Odesa region after the war should prioritize infrastructure development

21 Aug, 2023
164
EBA:The reconstruction of the Odesa region after the war should prioritize infrastructure development

Share this article

Russian attacks on the infrastructure in Odesa region only increased the logistical and infrastructural challenges for the Southern Ukraine. As last year, for the big part of the member companies of the EBA Southern Ukrainian office, the restoration of destroyed objects and the development of the region's infrastructural potential is the first condition for revitalizing business.  

The post-war reconstruction of the region, according to business, should also firstly focus on the restoration of infrastructure, transport hubs and connections. Among other requested reforms are the improvement of the work of the judicial and law enforcement system, as well as digitalization of interaction with state authorities, which can help in the context of the fight against corruption. After all, it is corruption, together with unpredictable actions of the state that affect in business work, that entrepreneurs call one of the main negative factors of influence, together with the outflow of personnel abroad and the logistical challenges that mentioned above.  

In general, the integrated assessment of business conditions in the region this year amounted to 2.47 points on a 5-point scale and is higher than last year's (2.15 points). Currently, 53% of entrepreneurs say that it is difficult for them to do business, 41% say that it is satisfactory, and another 6% say that it is easy. Since the beginning of the full-scale invasion, 12% of entrepreneurs in the region have relocated their office or production within Ukraine, and 6% - abroad.  

Almost half, namely 47% of the respondents work in full, the other 53% - with certain limitations. Only 19% of companies suffered no losses because of the war. At the same time, 44% report a loss of up to $1 million during this time, 12% record losses in the range of $1-10 million, and 25% report losses of more than $10 million.  

82% of companies in the Southern region have employees that mobilized into the ranks of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Thus, almost half of them - 47% - have 10-20% of the company's conscripted employees, 29% - up to 10%, and in 6% - 20 -30%. 

 

 

Evaluating the work of local authorities in the Odesa region, the work of the National Police and RSA received the highest rating, and the work of the TCM and SS (Territorial Center for Manpower and Social Support) in the region received the lowest rating.  

12% of the entrepreneurs we surveyed believe that the war will end in this year, 53% believe that the war will end in 2024, and 24% - within the next three years. Despite this, in the next six months, the companies plan to expand their business, enter new markets, and increase the number of employees.  

 

For reference:  The survey was held among membership companies of EBA Southern Ukrainian office from July 4 to 24, 2023.

General news is available at the link .  

The Odessa Journal

The Odessa Journal

more articles

Top article

The Ministry of Defense has signed a contract for the construction of a service center for repairing drones in Ukraine
War

The Ministry of Defense has signed a contract ...

Dmytro Kuleba: Ukraine and Croatia have agreed to use Croatian ports for exporting Ukrainian grain
Business

Dmytro Kuleba: Ukraine and Croatia have agree ...

New sanctions: Defence industry, political parties and individuals linked to oligarchs
Business

New sanctions: Defence industry, political pa ...

Volodymyr Zelensky: We are preparing for the next Ramstein meeting, we expect solidly grounded decisions to meet the prospects on the battlefield
War

Volodymyr Zelensky: We are preparing for the ...