Ukraine to present its bid to host EXPO-2030 in Odessa next week
Photo: JK Lab Architects
Ukraine must make every effort to present with dignity its bid for hosting EXPO-2030 and win. For even now, during the war, we must think about the future. This was stated by First Deputy Prime Minister – Minister of Economy Yuliia Svyrydenko at a meeting of the Coordinating Committee for the preparation and provision of Ukraine’s participation in the selection of the candidate country for hosting the EXPO-2030 World Exhibition in Ukraine (Odessa).
“Despite the fact that the war is going on now, we are thinking about the future. World EXPO is an event that works extremely positively for the image of the host country and gives a powerful economic effect. Therefore, we must make every effort to adequately present the Ukrainian bid next week. And also to carry out all the necessary preparatory work over the next year and win the selection. In 2030, the EXPO should be in Odessa,” said Yuliia Svyrydenko.
During its first meeting, the Committee also decided to elaborate:
- a strategy of promotion and advocacy of the Ukrainian bid at the international level and among Ukrainian diasporas;
- the format for determining ambassadors to promote Ukraine as a candidate country for EXPO-2030;
- the possibility of attracting donors, sponsors and patrons abroad to finance activities related to preparation and participation of Ukraine in the selection of the candidate country.
Ukraine's application will be presented at the 171st BIE General Assembly, which will be held on November 27-28, 2022.
The next meeting of the Coordinating Committee will be held in December.
- The World EXPO, which has been held for 170 years, is an outstanding event on a global scale, like the Olympic Games. It is held once every five years.
- Ukraine has submitted an application to the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) to host EXPO-2030 in Odessa on October 15, 2021. By the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 947 of August 23, 2022, a Coordination Committee was established, which is headed ex officio by the First Deputy Prime Minister – Minister of Economy of Ukraine.
- In February-April 2023, a BIE research mission will take place in Kyiv and Odessa. In the capital, representatives of the BIE will study Ukraine’s motivation, while in Odessa they will directly get acquainted with the city that claims to host the exhibition. The decision determining the winner will be made at the 173rd BIE General Assembly in November 2023.
- Along with Odessa, Rome (Italian Republic), Riyadh (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), and Busan (Republic of Korea) are competing for the right to host Expo 2030. Thanks to the government and diplomatic work of Ukraine, russia, which also claimed to host the exhibition and was our main competitor, withdrew its application.
- Under the rules, exhibitions can take place in one region of the world no more than once every 15 years. This significantly strengthens Ukraine’s position among competitors: in 2015 the exhibition was held in Milan (Italy), in 2020 – in Dubai (UAE), in 2025 it will be held in Osaka (Japan).
- The project of the master plan and architectural concept of the venue for the World Expo-2030 in Ukraine worth EUR 1.3 million was presented by the world-famous British architectural bureau Zaha Hadid Architects and JK Lab Architects - architectural and interior design firm from Odessa.