Defence Intelligence: Russian space intelligence is collapsing under the influence of international sanctions
In the closed city of Zheleznogorsk (Krasnoyarsk Territory, Russian Federation) there is a strategically important enterprise of the defense industry called “Information Satellite Systems, named after Academician M.F. Reshetnev”. According to the information of the military intelligence of Ukraine, at its facilities, Russian designers and scientists, among other things, are developing the so-called “big eyes” – means of conducting space reconnaissance, in particular:
- “Repey” – a project of a promising high-orbital system for conducting radio-electronic intelligence;
- “Geracle-KV” – the project of the complex of global space command-relay system;
- “Sphere” is a project of the unified satellite communication system of the 3rd stage.
The key elements of the listed projects are space vehicles, the production of which has de facto stopped due to an acute shortage of electronic components of both foreign and Russian production. It is about the absence of hundreds of thousands of equipment elements for space modules. As a result, the planned deadlines for the completion of scientific and research works of the specified space intelligence complexes were disrupted and “postponed” for several years:
- the “Repey” project – from 2022 to 2024;
- the “Geracle-KV” project – from 2023 to 2025;
- the Sphere project – from 2025 to 2027.
After the full-scale invasion of Russia into Ukraine, the joint-stock company “Information Satellite Systems, named after Academician M.F. Reshetnev” came under international sanctions.
Due to sanctions and mobilization, several more branches of the Russian economy will soon be at risk of ceasing to exist.