Urban sketching is one of the most sincere genres that allows for deep interaction with the dynamics of the city, immersed in the exploration and documentation of the urban environment.
Odessa is a city of artists, actors and musicians! Here everyone loves creativity. This group unites sketchers from Odessa, the group can contain city sketches of both Odessa, and sketches of Odessa sketchers from travels or places where they moved.
- urban sketch – a sketch draw on location, indoors or out of the urban environment and everything connected with it (city, human life in the city, observations in cafes, museums, etc.). Urban sketch is a direction and a separate independent genre of contemporary visual art, which combines observation of modernity and communication.
- urban sketchers – people who draw on location the city, city life, architectural elements, streets, cafes, etc. The group brings together people of different professions who like to draw.
Urban Sketchers Odessa is part of the international Urban Sketchers group.
Urban Sketchers is an international nonprofit dedicated to fostering a global community of artists who practice on-location drawing. The mission is to raise the artistic, storytelling and educational value of on-location drawing, promoting its practice and connecting people around the world who draw on location where they live and travel.
In 2007, a global community of urban sketchers began to form when Seattle-based journalist and illustrator Gabriel Campanario created an online forum
for all sketchers out there who love to draw the cities where they live and visit, from the window of their homes, from a cafe, at a park, standing by a street corner… always on location, not from photos or memory.Gabriel Campanario
A year later, Campanario invited a group of sketchers to share their drawings and storytelling in a blog, Urban Sketchers, where readers could “See the World, One Drawing at a Time.”
Urban Sketchers Odessa Manifesto:
- We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
- Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
- Our drawings are a record of time and place.
- We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
- We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
- We support each other and draw together.
- We share our drawings online.
- We show the world, one drawing at a time.
Join the group to know more