Types of old Odessa. Drawings by the architect Moises Sinyaver (1920-1922)
In 1935, the monograph “Architecture of Old Odessa” was published in Saint Petersburg (Leningrad) – an essay on the architecture of Odessa by Moises Sinyver, illustrated by his own sketches of Odessa. The sketches were published in black and white on the pages, as well as on two color tabs.
Moises Sinyaver himself lived in 1879-1949, is known as a Russian and Soviet architect, architectural historian, restorer; representative of neoclassicism. Graduated from the Imperial Academy of Arts in 1908. Member of the St. Petersburg Society of Architects. He was born in Odessa, then lived and taught in our city for a long time.
His drawings, which depict the architecture of Odessa, are dated from about 1920-1922. – in fact, a century ago.
The presented works show many moments of the life of that Odessa, which no longer exists now. In particular, Moises Sinyaver made a whole series of sketches of the life of the Old Bazaar, trade is in full swing among the ruins, in the center of which there is a tower. The oldest house in Odessa in Krasny Lane, demolished in the 1990s, is captured. Houses at the beginning of Torgovaya Street, which no longer exist, are shown. Vorontsov Palace is depicted with the Oryol building destroyed during the Second World War.