Odessa Philharmonic to be named after David Oistrakh
The name of the outstanding violinist, violist, conductor and teacher David Oistrakh has been proposed to be assigned to the municipal institution "Odessa Regional Philharmonic".
The corresponding draft decision will be considered at the next session by the Odessa Regional Council. The head of the meeting, Grigory Didenko, introduced it for consideration by the deputies.
David Oistrakh was born on September 30, 1908 in Odessa into a Jewish merchant family. From the age of five he studied violin and viola with Pyotr Stolyarsky, first privately, and since 1923 - at the Odessa Institute of Music and Drama (now the Odessa National Music Academy named after A.V. Nezhdanova), which he graduated in 1926.
From 1926 to 1928 - soloist of the Odessa Posredrabis. In 1927 he performed in Kiev the Concerto for Violin and Orchestra by Alexander Glazunov under the direction of the author. In 1928, the violinist made his debut in Leningrad, a year later he performed for the first time in Moscow and soon moved there to permanent residence. From 1932 to 1934 and from 1941 he was a soloist, and from 1961 he was also a conductor of the Moscow Philharmonic.
In 1935, he won the 2nd All-Union Competition of Music Performers and in the same year received the second prize at the International Violin Competition. Henryk Wieniawski. Two years later, he won the Izaya competition in Brussels and gained worldwide fame.
In 1942, he was evacuated from Moscow to Sverdlovsk (now Yekaterinburg) with his wife, son and mother. During the war years, the musician took an active part in military patronage, performed as a soloist at mobilization points, in hospitals, in besieged Leningrad, in front of the sailors of the Northern Fleet.
After the war, he began an active concert activity. In 1945, great public interest was aroused by his performance in Moscow of a double concerto by Johann Bach together with the American violinist Yehudi Menuhin (the first foreign performer to come to the USSR after the war). In 1946-1947 he organised the cycle "Development of the Violin Concerto". He also performed as a violist. He toured in many countries of the world.
Since 1934 he taught at the Moscow Conservatory (since 1939 - professor, since 1950 - head of the violin department).
He was the permanent chairman of the jury in the "violin" nomination at the first five (from 1958 to 1974) international competitions Pyotr Tchaikovsky.
The musician died of a heart attack on October 24, 1974 in Amsterdam (Holland) a few hours after another concert. He was buried in Moscow at the Novodevichy cemetery (plot No. 7).